Man dies after suffering serious neck injury, paralysis in Weber County Jail

Thursday , April 13, 2017 - 11:41 AM

MAKENZIE KOCH/Standard-Examiner Staff

 >>> UPDATE: Man suspected of faking mental illness in Weber jail before paralysis, death


OGDEN — An inmate who suffered a neck injury and was paralyzed in Weber County Jail has died from his injuries, according to a Standard-Examiner obituary.

Matthew Ryan Hall, 31, died at about 11 a.m. Friday, April 7, at the LDS Hospital in Salt Lake City, the obituary says. “Matthew died from complications due to a serious neck injury sustained while in Weber County Jail,” according to the obituary.

OBITUARY: Matthew Ryan Hall

RELATED: Man becomes paralyzed after injuring himself in Weber County Jail

The Salt Lake Tribune reported Sunday, April 9, that Hall was on suicide watch Feb. 24 when he jumped or fell from a sink in his jail cell. Hall fractured his neck and was paralyzed, the Tribune reported.

Hall was in jail after being accused of fighting with Ogden police officers and taking a Taser from one of them in November 2015, according to previous Standard-Examiner reporting. Court records filed in the case said officers were trying to arrest Hall after a resident reported he might be on drugs and was making threats.

Hall faced multiple felony and misdemeanor charges in connection with the incident and pleaded guilty to several in May 2016, according to Utah state online court records. However, court records filed in September of that year said he was found mentally incompetent to be sentenced.

Jail records say he was waiting for about five months to be transferred to Utah State Hospital for mental health treatment, according to the Tribune.

Weber County Sheriff Terry Thompson said Hall was in one of our suicide watch cells, which are checked every 15 minutes by jail staff. Hall was tended to within about 2 minutes of the fall from the sink, Thompson said. 

The investigation into the incident is being led by the state Medical Examiner’s Office, Thompson said. 

Hall didn’t die in jail but the incident is closely related to Department of Justice figures, which report 23 inmates died in the Weber County Jail from 2009 to 2016, according to data provided by the sheriff's Office in response to open-records requests. Utah has one of the highest inmate death rates in the country.

This is a developing story that will be updated as the Standard-Examiner learns more.

Contact digital producer Makenzie Koch at


Ogden inmate not given IV, died of dehydration in Weber jail, attorney says

Police investigating woman's death after 41 hour stay in Davis jail

Box Elder man's suicide by poison, death in jail leaves unresolved questions

Sign up for e-mail news updates.