Flames engulf motor home Monday night
Tuesday , August 05, 2014 - 12:30 PM
OGDEN — A motor home caught fire late Monday night after an Ogden man had just placed a deposit on it.
Jeff Hansen, 47, was traveling home from his four-night camp stay at Fort Buenaventura when his newly purchased motor home stalled, according to authorities.
Hansen said he was hauling his trailer along D Avenue near 400 West and 24th Street when the motor stalled. “I tried to start it again — nothing,” he said. “So I got out to look at the batteries and stuff and noticed a fire.”
Deputy Chief Eric Bauman, from the Ogden fire department, is calling it a total loss. The motor home pulled a camper filled with Hansen’s belongings.
“Luckily, the fire was stopped before it reached the camper,” Bauman said.
Damages are estimated at $5,000.
“I bought the motor home from another camper I met down there; the price was right and it was something I could afford,” said Hansen, who had just placed a $200 deposit on the vehicle. Hansen planned to purchase the motor home for $800. “Now the price ain't so good.”
“It was a wreck; the whole thing was pretty much trash,” Hansen added, “but the motor and stuff was good, except the wiring was a nightmare, obviously.”
Just before 9 p.m. Monday, neighbors called 911 after hearing Hansen yell for help.
“You could feel the heat coming through the window,” said witness Janyc Holmes, who lives right across the street from the where the incident occurred. “I heard a kaboom.”
No one was injured during the incident, but additional damage was done to the asphalt as result of the fire, which is being taken care of by public works, according to Bauman.
Contact reporter Morgan Briesmaster at 801-625-4268 or email@example.com. Follow her on Twitter at @SE_mbriesmaster. Like her Facebook page at http://facebook.com/SEMorganBriesmaster.
Popular in Fire
OGDEN — Fire crews evacuated twenty residents displaced by an apartment complex fire near Weber State University late Monday. The Ogden Fire Department...