Man falls asleep cooking, burns hands in Layton house fire

Friday , August 15, 2014 - 11:06 AM

LAYTON — A man was injured in a kitchen fire Thursday night after falling asleep while something he was cooking boiled over and set the room ablaze. 

The 27-year-old man woke up to the smell of smoke and burned his hands while trying to put out the blaze, Layton Fire Inspector and department spokesman Doug Bitton told the Standard-Examiner.

Crews responded to a 911 call just before 10:30 p.m. and found the man outside his home at 423 N. Owens Avenue. They transported him by ambulance to the University Hospital Burn Center in Salt Lake City. The victim’s current medical status is unknown.

Crews quickly doused the fire and were able to contain it to the kitchen, Bitton said. A kitchen wall and window were significantly damaged, he said, in addition to the stovetop and sink areas in the room. Damage is estimated at about $8,000.

Contact reporter Ben Lockhart at 801-625-4221 or blockhart@standard.net. Follow him on Twitter at @SE_Lockhart. Like his Facebook page at www.facebook.com/blockhartSE. 

 

 

Sign up for e-mail news updates.

Activate Your Membership

Location

Sign Up for the Standard Examiner Newsletter
Popular in Fire

Ogden Canyon brush fire sparked by tree falling on power line

HUNTSVILLE — A tree fell on a power line, sparking a grass fire that forced closure of Ogden Canyon during the noon hour Thursday. The Weber Fire...