Wednesday , November 15, 2017 - 3:20 PM
OGDEN — There are local opportunities to serve those in need this Thanksgiving season.
Donate a holiday turkey
• Turkey donations are needed at The Ogden Rescue Mission, 2775 Wall Ave. The agency needs about 100 turkeys by Thursday, Nov. 16, Director Linda Doud said. For information, call 801-621-4360.
• Turkey donations also may be made Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., at Catholic Community Services of Northern Utah at 2504 F Ave. in Ogden, or from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at United Way of Northern Utah at 2955 Harrison Blvd., Suite 201, in Ogden. For more information, call 801-394-5944.
• Turkey donations are needed at the Bountiful Food Pantry, 480 E. 150 North in Bountiful. Donation hours are Monday through Saturday from 8 a.m. to noon and Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. For information, call 801-299-8464.
Provide weekend meals for the homeless
• Weekend meals are needed when the soup kitchen is closed at the Lantern House Homeless Shelter, 269 W. 33rd Street in Ogden, said Caitlin Gochnour, director of the Ogden area JustServe.org. For information, call 801-621-5036.
Donate food or help serve
• Both food donations and volunteer help are needed at Zucca Trattoria, 225 25th Street. The restaurant will partner with Salvation Army and Youth Impact to serve 600 families in need Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, Nov. 23. Help is needed anytime between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. Nov. 23. For information, call 801-475-7077.
Walk or run
• Participants are needed for the 32nd Annual Thanksgiving Walk/Run beginning at 9 a.m. Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, Nov. 23, in the Ogden Regional Medical Center rear parking lot at 5475 S. 500 East in Washington Terrace.
The walk is designed to raise food for Catholic Community Services of Northern Utah. Those who participate are asked to bring non-perishables as their entrance fee. Registration begins at 8:15 a.m. for the event, according to organizers. For information, call 801-479-2932.
Help the holiday parade
• Parade directors are needed for Ogden’s Holiday Electric Light Parade beginning at 5:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 24, starting at 22nd Street and ending at 26th Street. For information, call 801-629-8548.
Write to those deployed
• Thank you letters are requested for members of the military. For those who want to help someone without leaving home, Gochnour suggests this avenue for helping others. “This is a great activity to do as a family,” Gochnour said.
• For a list of volunteer opportunities in the local area, visit justserve.org and enter your ZIP code. Searches can be geared to five, 10 or 15 miles from your home. A Thanksgiving search also is available. “Within 15 miles, there are 173 volunteer projects needing help,” Gochnour said. “The justserve.org program is gaining momentum. There are just over 9,000 registered users within the Ogden region.”
Sign up for e-mail news updates.