Sunday , July 31, 2016 - 11:43 AM
LAYTON — Firefighters and police helped a woman escape her burning home that was partially destroyed early Sunday morning.
The fire was reported by the 46-year-old woman about 2:20 a.m. Sunday, July 31. She said she could “smell and see smoke” coming from the heat vents and under the door in the bedroom of her house, located at 1450 N. Church Street, according to a press release by Layton Fire Department.
After being told the bedroom door was hot, dispatchers told her to place a towel under the door and stand by the window. The woman opened the window and “felt like jumping,” but two Layton police officers arrived.
One of the officers forced the front door open and ran to the back of the home “finding the female coughing and screaming for help” at the second-story window. The officers helped her out the window onto a 6-foot ladder.
The woman was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation but was later released, and no other injuries were reported. Firefighters suppressed the fire originating at the first-level living room, controlling it within 15 minutes.
Story continues below photo
Fire officials are investigating aged chandelier wiring and an extension cord in the home’s living room as a possible cause. According to the press release, a bottle of cleaner the woman had used the night before was near the origin of the fire and “accelerated the fire.”
Smoke and heat damage affected the main level, stair case and second level. Fire officials estimate about $90,000 in damages.
Layton Fire Department’s Public Information Officer Doug Bitton said the woman did “all the right actions and was instructed excellently by dispatchers.”
Bitton added that nighttime house fires could be devastating and lead to loss of life if not fore working smoke alarms.
“We can’t overstate this enough that each level of the home needs operational smoke alarms and recommend them in every sleeping room,” Bitton said.
Sign up for e-mail news updates.