Tuesday , November 14, 2017 - 5:43 PM
WASHINGTON TERRACE — High levels of methane caused emergency crews to evacuate two businesses in Washington Terrace on Tuesday afternoon.
Darren Shepherd, a spokesperson for Dominion Energy Utah, said system integrity crews were doing a routine check on gas lines near 300 W. 4525 South and discovered high levels of natural gas in the area.
As of 5 p.m., two businesses, a gas station and a hair salon, were evacuated as a precaution.
The nearby road, 4525 South, is closed from 300 West to Ridgeline Drive as a precaution as crews examine the area.
Shepherd did not have an estimated for how long it would take to fix any potential leak and reopen the area.
He explained it may take some time to pinpoint the exact spot of the leak, as methane can’t escape through some materials like asphalt and will take the path of least resistance to escape through the soil. This can sometimes make finding leaks difficult for repair crews and can extend the time it takes to properly find and stop gas leaks.
The Washington Terrace Fire Department, Washington Terrace Public Works and the Weber County Sheriff’s Office are on scene handling road closures and security, according to a Facebook post from the City of Washington Terrace.
Sign up for e-mail news updates.