Ogden courthouse evacuated for 3rd bomb threat this month

Thursday , April 19, 2018 - 3:39 PM

Editor’s note: This story was updated at 5:15 p.m. with new information.

OGDEN — For the third week in a row, Ogden’s courthouses received a bomb threat; and for the third time, no signs of a bomb were found. 

No arrests have been made in connection to the fake bomb threats, but police believe the threats are coming from the same person. 

Police were dispatched just after 3 p.m. to a call of a bomb threat at the courthouse at 2525 Grant Ave., according to online dispatch records. 

RELATED: Bomb threat leads to evacuation at 2nd District Courthouse again

Utah State Courts spokesman Geoff Fattah said in a tweet just after 3:30 p.m. that Ogden’s 2nd District Court was being evacuated and searched.  

After arriving at the scene, Ogden Police decided not to evacuate the Justice Court, but the district court evacuations were being decided by the Weber County Sheriff’s Office, according to Ogden Police Capt. Danielle Croyle.

At 4:24 p.m., Fattah said in a tweet that the sweep of the courthouse had been completed. Jurors were sent home for the day. Just after 5 p.m., Fattah said in a tweet that police had finished their search and cleared the building. 

Bomb threats were made against the courthouse on April 5 and 12. The building was evacuated both times and cleared by bomb-sniffing dogs. 

On Friday, April 13, Ogden Police Lt. Tim Scott said that both threats were under investigation, and he couldn’t disclose if the two incidents were connected or if the same person issued the threats. 

Contact reporter Jacob Scholl at jscholl@standard.net or follow him on Twitter @Jacob_Scholl.

Sign up for e-mail news updates.

×