Former Weber High softball player moves closer to full recovery

Wednesday , July 09, 2014 - 2:40 PM

OGDEN – Marjorie Medina’s road to recovery isn’t yet complete, but the outlook appears a lot more promising.

Seven weeks after a horrifying automobile accident that left the former Weber High softball player in the hospital with injuries that had doctors questioning whether she’d ever be the same again, Marjorie has made major progress in her recovery. She can sit, eat normal foods, carry on a conversation and dream about doing all the things she dreamed about before the accident.

“It’s only been (a week) since her catheter and feeding tubes came out and she’s got full movement of her upper body with good strength,” Marjorie’s father, George Medina, said. “She can – not on her own – stand up on the one leg that’s able to bear weight, she can talk – she’s herself.”

Marjorie is so much herself that her first request following the removal of the feeding tubes was from her favorite pizza restaurant – Tony’s Pizza.

“People who haven’t seen her during the ICU and the IMC stay tell us that you can’t even tell she’s been involved in an accident other than the scars… and casts,” Medina said. “She has come a long way.”

Marjorie was driving southbound near 34th and Wall Avenue in Ogden with her cousin and her cousin’s son on the morning of May 21 – a day after her high school graduation – when a driver coming the opposite direction drifted through the median, colliding head on with Marjorie’s 1998 Honda Accord.

Marjorie suffered broken bones, a grade five liver laceration, pulmonary contusions and severe brain trauma. She spent 10 days in the intensive care unit and some more time in intermediate medical care before being moved to rehabilitation at McKay-Dee Hospital.

Marjorie still has a cast on each of her legs, as well as one on her left arm, but the plan is for them to be removed this week. After that, she’ll be able to work more extensively to start walking again.

Upon being released, which doctors have tentatively planned for Aug. 1, Marjorie hopes to be able to continue her education and continue to be involved with softball.

“It just makes me feel so blessed that I have my daughter back because this is the way she’s always been,” Medina said. “She hasn’t lost anything. She’s still her. She’s still got that drive to continue moving ahead and fight for what she wants, what she believes in. It’s something we tried to instill in all of our kids and to see that she still has that ambition and desire in life has made us believe she’s back.”

Marjorie admits she doesn’t remember much about the accident other than she was going to the mall, and that it’s hard for her to not feel angry.

“I have my moments,” Marjorie said. “I’ll break down and cry sometimes just because I’m angry. I’m mad because this all happened and I have to go through the struggles but… I feel blessed because I’m still here and I’ve got all this support from everyone.”

Despite the current timetable, Marjorie is hopeful that she can leave sometime this month.

“She has amazed all of us in every aspect,” her mother, Melisa said. “Every time everybody sees her after it’s been a week or so, everybody’s just in awe.”

Contact reporter Ryan Comer at Follow him on Twitter at @RyanComerSE and on Facebook at

Sign up for e-mail news updates.

Get the Standard-Examiner Advantage.

Related Stories