Standard-Examiner prep football preview series
Thursday , July 31, 2014 - 5:39 PM
Beginning Friday, the Standard-Examiner presents its new ’21 on 21’ series, which will feature 21 previews covering all 21 area football teams.
For the next 21 days in the sports section, there will be a feature story on one of the high school football teams from the Standard-Examiner readership area as they prepare for the 2014 season.
The first game of the season, between Layton Christian and four-time defending 1-A state champion Duchesne, is on Thursday, Aug. 21.
Among the storylines heading into the 2014 season that will be highlighted in this series include:
* Syracuse tries to stay competitive in Region 1 despite a mass exodus of talent
* Clearfield tries to rebound under new head coach and former NFL player Andre Dyson
* Roy tries to use a wealth of experience to make a deep run in the state tournament
* Davis tries to continue its success despite the sudden departure of 13-year head coach Ryan Bishop
* Mountain Crest tries to rebound after surprisingly disastrous 2013 season
* Morgan tries to reload despite only two returning starters from last year’s state semifinal team
Follow Standard-Examiner prep sports coverage throughout the season on Twitter (@RyanComerSe and @standardexsport) and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/RyanComerSe
’21 on 21’ schedule:
Friday, Aug. 1: Layton Christian
Saturday, Aug. 2: Syracuse
Sunday, Aug. 3: Fremont
Monday, Aug. 4: Bonneville
Tuesday, Aug. 5: Northridge
Wednesday, Aug. 6: Box Elder
Thursday, Aug. 7: Ben Lomond
Friday, Aug. 8: Bountiful
Saturday, Aug. 9: Layton
Sunday, Aug. 10: Logan
Monday, Aug. 11: Sky View
Tuesday, Aug. 12: Clearfield
Wednesday, Aug. 13: Weber
Thursday, Aug. 14: Bear River
Friday, Aug. 15: Mountain Crest
Saturday, Aug. 16: Morgan
Sunday, Aug. 17: Ogden
Monday, Aug. 18: Davis
Tuesday, Aug. 19: Woods Cross
Wednesday, Aug. 20: Viewmont
Thursday, Aug. 21: Roy
Popular in Sports
OGDEN — Hunter Clarke was exactly what Ogden needed to shut down Ben Lomond star Brenden Morris. Clarke held Morris scoreless in the fourth quarter...
LOGAN — One night removed from blowing a 17-point lead to escape with a one-point victory, the USU men’s basketball team avoided the late-game drama...