VIDEO: Powers Stops Davis Early in First Round

Monday , August 24, 2015 - 5:02 PM1 comment

Standard-Examiner staff

LAYTON — Saturday night at the Davis Conference Center the Powers Promotions professional welterweight championship was won by the promoter, Sean Powers. 

A scheduled five-round mixed martial arts bout ended abruptly at 44 seconds when the taller Powers landed a hard leg kick to the jaw of Ray Davis, sending him limp to the canvas where he remained for several minutes. Powers (8-5), who has fought MMA for Bellator and has professional kick boxing experience, fended off an offensive spurt by Davis (10-11) prior to the KO.

In the other professional match, tall heavyweight Jared Toothaker (1-1), of Powers MMA, stopped a mismatched Saad Alkashif (0-1) in 28 seconds, luring his opponent into aggressiveness and then applying a standing choke that left Alkashif briefly unconscious. Toothaker, who was outmatched in his pro debut, losing to Jake South, looks to be a fair prospect.

The rest of the bouts were amateur contests, highlighted by four fighters in semifinals bouts for the Power Promotions amateur welterweight tournament. In the first semifinal, Kaecey Raddon (7-1), who fights out of One Hit MMA in Layton, stopped Powers MMA’s Terence Curry (2-2) via tap out at 1:10 of round one. Curry appears to have potential, but was not ready to deal with the aggressiveness of the more experienced Raddon. There was controversy at the end of the bout as Raddon failed to respond to his opponent’s taps, leading to referee Tyler Tomlinson grabbing Raddon and tossing him a few feet.

Raddon’s opponent in the welterweight championship this fall will be a tough assignment. Aaron Thomson (5-0), of Absolute MMA and among the state’s elite amateurs, dispatched debuting T.J. Evans at 1.41 of round one via a rear naked choke. Evans was badly outmatched in his amateur debut.

In the most competitive bout of the night, debuting amateurs Teague Vigil, 157 pounds, of Powers MMA, and Antonio Rodriguez, of Absolute MMA, 159.5 pounds, fought hard for three rounds. However, the smaller Vigil used a strength advantage to keep an edge over nine minutes, winning with calls of 29-28, 29-28 and 30-27 from the judges.

In other amateur bouts, light heavyweight Mike Smith (1-0) got Brandon Lewis (0-1) to the ground early, eventually forcing Lewis to tap out at 1.38 of round one, and 146-pounder Cory Collard (1-1) of Pit Elevated gym in Orem, caught an aggressive John Day (0-3) of The Garage gym, with hard shots, scoring a KO in 39 seconds.

In the final amateur bout, Julian Ruiz (3-1), 146 pounds, caught Bryce Edminister (5-2-1), 144.5 pounds,  with a hard right hand that sent him to the floor. The bout was stopped after only seven seconds had elapsed. It was a nice win for Ruiz over a highly regarded amateur fighter in Edminister, who trains at The Garage.

Some of the large crowd enjoyed a USA Boxing Utah amateur card prior to the MMA bouts. Among the winners of the amateur bouts were Tremonton’s DeAndre Pentejo, who beat Vicente Tapia. Also, Isaiah Gallegos, of Ogden’s Marshall White Center, TKO’d Damien Robinette in the second round, and heavyweight boxer Skyler Torres, who fights out of Foley’s gym in Ogden, out-slugged Lalo Requien to take a three-round decision.

Sign up for e-mail news updates.

Get the Standard-Examiner Advantage.