SAO PAULO -- Chewing gum and playing soccer proved a dangerous mix for one Brazilian player.
Aloisio, a striker for Vasco da Gama, wound up in the hospital after colliding with an opponent and choking on his gum during a second-division game Tuesday. He was released from the hospital and avoided serious injury.
Doctors said he injured his head and stopped breathing momentarily, the gum obstructing his airway.
"It was a very serious situation," Vasco doctor Paulo Cesar Rocha said Wednesday. "Luckily, we identified the problem quickly and took the gum out to help him breathe again."