The history of education in southwestern Davis County all began in 1864 in a small home built of mud and sticks. Inside that small home, early settler Hannah Holbrook began teaching six boys who helped herd the family's livestock.
During the next decade, teaching moved out of settlers' homes and into one-room schoolhouses. School districts popped up in each community as more and more small schools were built. In those early days, most students received only an elementary education. Textbooks and supplies were scarce. Attendance was not mandatory.