Middle school boys convicted of field trip sex assault

Jul 27 2011 - 12:07pm

SAN MATEO, Calif. -- Three middle school boys were convicted Monday in connection with the sexual assault of two girls during a class field trip to a Redwood City, Calif., park and now face jail time.

Two of the defendants, who are 13 and 14, admitted to lewd and lascivious conduct and could get a maximum term of eight years behind bars when they are sentenced Aug. 5, said deputy district attorney James Wade. A third boy, who is 12, admitted to sexual battery and faces a year in custody.

Officials did not identify the boys because they are juveniles.

Prosecutors say the boys attacked two of their female classmates from John F. Kennedy Middle School during a trip to Stulsaft Park in March. School officials didn't know about the attack until a month later, when one of the girls told a school counselor what happened.

The boy's admissions came Monday morning in San Mateo County Superior Court as their trial on sexual assault charges was slated to begin.

Two other boys have been charged in connection with the assault and await trial. One of them may accept a plea bargain on Aug. 5. The fifth boy has a trial date later in the year.

The students were in a group of 20 that was escorted by a teacher and a teacher's aide during the trip. Neither of the adults were charged with crimes in connection with the incident. The Redwood City School District said previously it is investigating the incident.

(c) 2011, San Mateo County Times (San Mateo, Calif.).

Visit the San Mateo County Times at www.sanmateocountytimes.com.

Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

 

From Around the Web

  +