Do you know your dietary guidelines?
Do you follow the government's 2010 Dietary Guidelines? Test yourself by answering these questions.
1. At each meal, how much of your plate should be filled with fruit and vegetables?
2. How many milligrams of sodium should you consume per day?
3. If you are age 51 or older, what should your daily sodium intake be?
a) 2,300 mg
b) 1,650 mg
c) 1,500 mg
4. What's the maximum percentage of your diet that should come from saturated fats?
5. What is the maximum amount of milligrams of cholesterol one should consume daily?
a) 500 mg
b) 400 mg
c) 300 mg
6. What's the maximum number of alcoholic drinks men and women should drink per day?
a) 3 men, 2 women
b) 2 men, 1 women
c) 0 for both
ANSWERS: 1: b; 2: a; 3: c; 4: b; 5: c; 6: b.
Watering stakes help care for trees, shrubs
Green King's Deep Drip Watering Stakes get water where trees and shrubs need it.
The stakes direct water deep into the soil to the plants' roots.
Each stake is driven into the ground and then attached to a drip emitter. A regular garden hose set to a very slow flow can also be used.
The stakes come in 14-, 24- and 36-inch lengths. They sell for $8.99 to $10.99 at www.deepdrip.com or 866-469-4330.
Slippers leave a mark on wooden dresser
Q: I had a pair of slipper socks that had rubber dots on the bottom. I put them on top of my wooden dresser and then put some clothes on top. I now have about six little circles on my good dresser.
A: Plastic can react with some lacquer finishes, causing some of it to be transferred to the finish, said John S. Wilkie of Revere Refinishing in Norton, Ohio (330-715-8624 or www.revererefinishing.com).
Try rubbing the marks with superfine (0000) steel wool and a furniture polish that contains natural ingredients, such as Guardsman, he suggested. If necessary, apply more polish as you work to keep it moist.
If that doesn't work, try automotive rubbing compound.
Take a vacation without taking off
Paging through "Summer House" is a little like taking a vacation without leaving home.
Artist and designer Terry John Woods offers ideas for creating retreats both indoors and outdoors.
"Summer House" is published by Stewart, Tabori & Chang and sells for $45.
-- Standard-Examiner wire services
Visit www.hersutah.com for these stories and more:
* Food: Strawberry-Limeade Icebox Pie
* Manage your life: Animals make us more human
* Health: Interrupted sleep may cause memory, learning problems
* Style: Go whimsical
* Entertainment: Preserving Lady Gaga's meat dress