OGDEN -- The floodwaters might have cleared away, but emergency management crews still have a list of damaged items in need of repair.
Weber, Box Elder and Morgan counties are among about 20 government entities throughout the state, including counties and American Indian tribes, that will receive federal disaster relief funds to help make those repairs.
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency listed the entities among the areas affected during the floods that occurred between April 18 and July 16.
Joe Dougherty, public information officer for the Utah Division of Emergency Management, said a FEMA team went across the state several weeks ago and estimated total flood damage to be about $12.7 million.
In the Top of Utah, the estimates are:
- Weber County, $2.47 million.
- Box Elder County, $198,000.
- Morgan County, $46,000.
Now that the federal government officially approved Utah as a disaster area, local emergency management agencies will begin to meet with FEMA officials within a week to analyze specific projects that need assistance.
FEMA will pay about 75 percent of the eligible costs for each project, while state and local agencies must cover the remaining 25 percent.
The disaster relief money is welcome news to Weber County Emergency Management Director Lance Peterson. There are many areas in the county that need help, he said.
"Old Snowbasin Road is just trashed," Peterson said.
The April 18 storm caused four or five big breaks, and repeated attempts to repair them have proved unsuccessful.
The rains also rerouted the Weber River through the outfield of Serge Simmons Field at Fort Buenaventura in Ogden and caused damage along the parkway running from West Haven through Riverdale.
Along with emergency money, Peterson said, the county could benefit from mitigation funds, which would make improvements to such areas as the North Fork area of the Weber River to lessen the likelihood of flooding.