ROY -- Firefighters are mopping up and looking for hidden hot spots after extinguishing a fire in a home at 2347 S. 5750 West.
Crews were called to the scene at 7:50 when the residents smelled smoke. Fire Chief Jon Ritchie said the ceiling above the kitchen caught fire and spread through the attic and roof. It took firefighters about an hour to douse the flames and start their investigation, which found a canister-style light fixture recessed in the ceiling overheated and ignited nearby materials.
The two people in the home escaped without injury but damage to the brick house was estimated at $130,000 by Ritchie, who said the house could be restored.