* Author Brandon Sanderson, illustrator Mark Buehner, and Deseret Book editor Lisa Mangum will be speaking and answering questions during a special event at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Davis County South branch library, 725 S. Main, Bountiful.
Sanderson is the best-selling fantasy author of several books including "Elantris," "Warbreaker," "The Way of Kings," "The Mistborn Trilogy" and the Alcatraz series for younger readers. Buehner is an award-winning illustrator who has created artwork for books written by his wife, Caralyn Buehner, as well as other authors. Mangum has worked in the publishing department for Deseret Book since 1997. She will share her expertise in the publishing world.
The event is free, but tickets are required. They are available at all branches of the Davis County Library with a limit of two tickets per person. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. The speakers will sign books after the presentation.
* Having trouble downloading a book to your MP3 player or Nook? Weber County Library offers "Digital Petting Zoo," a class about the process on 7 p.m. Thursday at the Pleasant Valley Library, 5568 Adams Ave., Washington Terrace. The class is free and open to the public. Call 801-337-2690 for more information.
* Learn to make your own unique journals, scrapbooks, sketchbooks and more at a two-day bookbinding workshop, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Friday and Saturday, at the Bountiful/Davis Art Center, 745 S. Main St. Utah bookmaker Karliegh Heywood will be at the event, which includes lessons on creating a wide variety of books.
The cost is $125. Visit www.bdac.org or call 801-292-0367 for a full listing of classes and workshops. Registration is available online.
* Author events this week at The King's English Bookshop in Salt Lake City include:
* Wisconsin author Ilsa Bick will read from and sign "Ashes," the first volume in her new dystopian thriller trilogy, at 7 p.m. Tuesday.
* Washington author Garth Stein will read from and discuss "The Art of Racing in the Rain" at 7 p.m. Wednesday.
* Utah author Jennifer Nielsen will read from and sign "Elliot and the Pixie Plot" at 2 p.m. Saturday.
These are free events at the bookshop, 1511 E. 1500 South, Salt Lake City.