KAYSVILLE -- About 96 percent of Kaysville residents are now in the 1st Congressional District, while the remaining 4 percent live in the 2nd Congressional District.
And Mayor Steve Hiatt is upset about that.
"There was so much talk of keeping communities together," Hiatt said.
The split is the result of a new congressional district map approved Monday night by the state Legislature.
Hiatt testified before the redistricting committee Oct. 7 about the benefits of keeping Kaysville whole and keeping it in the same district as Fruit Heights. Fruit Heights is now in the 1st Congressional District, with most of Kaysville and the northern part of Davis County.
Legislators met all day Monday to hash out the congressional map, which divides the state into four districts.
The map keeps most of Kaysville, Fruit Heights, Layton, Syracuse, West Point, Clinton, Sunset and Clearfield in the 1st Congressional District.
A sliver of Kaysville is joined with Farmington, Centerville, Bountiful, North Salt Lake, Woods Cross and West Bountiful as part of the 2nd Congressional District.
Hiatt said the boundary "zigzags" through Kaysville.
"If you drove this boundary, it would blow your mind," Hiatt said. "But at the end of the day, I'm sure we'll be represented just fine."
Hiatt said he first saw the map Monday afternoon and then contacted legislators.
Five of the GOP House members voted against the map. One of those was Rep. Brad Wilson, R-Kaysville.
He said even though he was pleased with the process the Legislature followed, "I represent a community of folks in Kaysville, of which 1,200 were pulled out and put into a different district."
Wilson said he does not represent that area, but cast his vote for all of Kaysville. That area is represented by Rep. Stewart Barlow, R-Fruit Heights, who voted for the map.
Wilson said he would have preferred that Kaysville had been kept whole or split more evenly.
Rep. Roger Barrus, R-Centerville, who voted for the map and served on the redistricting committee, said he heard from his constituents, who said if Davis County needed to be divided, to do it so "it was meaningful."
Barrus said legislators also had to keep the numbers so it was "one man, one vote." Kaysville is not the only city that was split, Barrus said. Many other cities were split also.
Barrus said even though he understands Hiatt's frustrations, "Davis County did very well in the congressional redistricting."
Davis County Commissioners Bret Millburn and Louenda Downs said they knew from the beginning the county would get divided.
Downs said, "If the county must be split, our hope was that there would be enough numbers within the split to still have our voice heard and our county count in elections."
"If it was just a sliver, then Davis County would get lost, but this is better," Millburn said. "We'll have two Congress members keeping an eye out for the county, and two is much better than one."