Man sentenced for threatening to shoot workers at Clearfield company

Nov 5 2011 - 10:13am


Sentenced George Lee Mitchell, 42, will serve the time in the Davis County Jail.
Sentenced George Lee Mitchell, 42, will serve the time in the Davis County Jail.

FARMINGTON -- A man who threatened to shoot employees at Kellogg's Worthington Foods, Inc., located at the Freeport Center, was sentenced to serve four months in jail.

Judge Robert J. Dale sentenced George Lee Mitchell, 42, to serve the time in the Davis County Jail, giving him credit for the 77 days he has served since his arrest in August.

Assistant Clearfield Police Chief Mike Stenquist said officers received a call about a terrorist threat made over the phone concerning Kellogg's employees on Aug. 18.

Mitchell had been hired by Kelly Services to work as a temporary employee at Kellogg's.

"But (Mitchell) had some problems and was let go by Kellogg's," Stenquist said.

Mitchell called Kelly Services and left a message during the night of Aug. 17 or the early morning hours of Aug. 18, saying he would "start blowing up people," Stenquist said.

Stenquist said Kelly Services' staff recognized Mitchell's voice, even though he did not leave a name. Police were called to investigate and Kellogg's had to go into lock-down for about four hours until Mitchell could be found, Stenquist said.

Police found Mitchell at a home in Harrisville and "he was surprised it was a big deal," Stenquist said.

Deputy Davis County Attorney Richard Larsen said in court that even though Mitchell "didn't engage in physical violence," he caused trauma to the employees at Kellogg's.

Mitchell pleaded guilty to a third-degree felony threat of terrorism on Aug. 25.

Dale sentenced Mitchell on Thursday to jail time. He also ordered Mitchell to serve three years probation and ordered him to stay away from Kelly Services and Kellogg's. Dale suspended a sentence of zero to five years in the Utah State Prison in lieu of the jail time and probation.

From Around the Web