LAYTON -- An apartment unit in Layton was heavily damaged by fire Saturday afternoon.
No one was injured in the blaze reported at 12:14 p.m. at Overlook at Sunset Point Apartments, 2955 N. 400 West, said Scott Maughan, a battalion chief for the Layton Fire Department.
A passerby alerted a police officer in the area who then contacted dispatchers about the fire, Maughan said. When firefighters arrived, smoke and flames were visible from the apartment unit.
A man who lives in the single-bedroom apartment reported a space heater had sparked about two hours before the fire broke out, Maughn said. The man removed the heater and then left the apartment. It's believed that the spark ignited clothing which smoldered and then caught fire, Maughan said.
The fire was confined to the apartment. Seven other units in the complex were evacuated as a precaution, Maughan said. Damage estimates to the apartment unit and contents inside were not available.
Seventeen members of the Layton Fire Department and four members of the Clinton Fire Department responded.
The name of the tenant was not released.