SALT LAKE CITY -- Homeowners and businesses need to be aware that scam contractors and companies will target properties damaged by Thursday's windstorm.
The Utah Department of Commerce issued a warning Monday reminding consumers they can check at www.dopl.utah.gov for contractor's licenses and at www.consumerprotection.utah.gov to see if any disciplinary action has been taken against that contractor.
Tips to avoid becoming a victim include the following:
* Be cautious of people showing up at the door and saying they can do the job cheaply, or that they are in the area for just the day, or that a decision has to be made immediately.
* Ask to see a contractor's license. Call 866-275-3675 or go to www.dopl.utah.gov to check the license.
* Ask for references and call the references.
* Get a written bid and then compare bids.
* Get a written contract.
* Make payment after the work is done and to the name of the contractor's license, not to an individual.