Woman and baby burned stoking fire

Dec 5 2011 - 11:48pm

HONEYVILLE -- A 20-year-old woman and her 10-month-old baby received moderate burns on their hands just before 5 p.m. Monday when the mother was pouring gas on a fire in a home fireplace.

Box Elder County Sheriff's Chief Deputy Kevin Potter said the fire burned up the stream of gas and into a water bottle from which the mother was pouring the gas. The bottle exploded.

The fire, on the 7200 North block of 4680 West, caused about $30,000 in damages. The mother called emergency workers and the Honeyville City Fire Department responded.

The mother and baby were taken by ambulance to the Tremonton Hospital, then to the University of Utah burn center. Both are expected to recover.

Potter warns people about the dangers of stoking a fire with gasoline. Such fuels should never be used inside, and should only be used -- when camping or when firewood is wet -- before the fire is lighted.

From Around the Web

  +