SOUTH WEBER -- A couple left their home after feeling ill during Wednesday's early hours, a decision that may have saved their lives, a fire official says.
The two believed something might be wrong with the furnace, said South Weber Fire Chief Tom Graydon.
Whatever the reason, leaving may have saved their lives, because at some point after they left, a fire started in the attic of their home, 291 E. 6650 South.
At 10:16 a.m., someone working in the area saw smoke coming from the back of the house and called 911.
Units from Layton Fire Department, Weber Fire District, Riverdale Fire Department and South Weber Fire Department responded to the call.
Because the residents had already left, the house was empty when crews arrived. No one was injured in the fire.
Crews traced the fire to the attic and used a chain saw to cut through the roof and ceiling. Firefighters came out of the house covered in soggy cellulose insulation.
Although the fire was contained to the attic, the damage to the home is significant, Graydon said.
The fire burned like fingers through the entire attic, he said. All of the insulation will need to be ripped out.
"There is a lot of the ceiling that is down," Graydon said. "It is going to have to be removed before they can inhabit again."
The residents of the home declined to comment.