Magna boy severely burned trying to roast marshmallows

Dec 22 2011 - 9:30am

MAGNA -- An 11-year-old boy is suffering serious burns on his arms, shoulders, and neck after trying to roast marshmallows in his backyard in Magna.

Unified Police Sgt. James Blanton says the boy was building the fire with four friends about 9 p.m. Wednesday. Authorities say the boy was pouring gas onto the fire when the flames climbed the stream of fuel and exploded the can he was holding.

The boy had second- and third-degree burns and was taken in critical condition to University Hospital's burn unit. Another boy was treated for minor burns.

The fire also melted a small section of siding on the home.

The boys were not being supervised, although it's unclear where adults were at the time of the explosion.

 

From Around the Web

  +