OGDEN -- An unwatched fireplace scorched part of a home Tuesday night.
Ogden Fire Battalion Chief Dennis Gay said someone left an outdoor fireplace burning on the back porch of a house at 104 Ray St. While the homeowner was gone, the back of the fireplace got too hot for the wall surrounding it, which caught fire, he said.
A passerby called for help at 8:30 p.m. when she saw smoke. Firefighters had the fire out within 15 minutes. Only the area immediately around the fireplace was scorched, Gay said. He estimates the damage at $1,500.