OGDEN -- A child with a lighter started a fire that heavily damaged a home at 541 E. 980 North on Saturday morning.
When fire crews arrived, bystanders and neighbors were trying to put out the fire.
Peggy Worcott, 57, who is the sister of resident Sandra Borgstrom and lives across the street, was trying to move a butane tank away from the house when flames jumped out of a window and blistered the back of her neck.
"I have a lot of admiration for (the firefighters)," Worcott said, as she could only imagine the type of personal harm firefighters risk in doing their job.
As fire crews tried to enter the home, one firefighter's foot went through the floor. Crews then entered through the rear of the structure and were able to extinguish the blaze.
Damage is estimated at $90,000. No firefighters were injured. One person who was trying to put out the fire was treated at the scene for a minor injury.
The Ogden fire marshal's office determined the cause was a child playing with a lighter.
The child was Worcott's 5-year-old grandnephew Michael, who was staying with her.
She said he had gone back to his house across the street and lit a candle that morning so the room would not smell like dog feces. But the flame got away from him and the house quickly filled with smoke.
"In just a few minutes time," Worcott said, her hand over her mouth, looking at the blackened remains of her sister's house.
Among the other possessions, the family lost an antique piano.
Ogden City Fire and North View Fire Agency responded to the incident with two engines, two ladder trucks, a battalion chief, one paramedic rescue and one ambulance for a total of 18 personnel.
The Red Cross is providing food, clothing and shelter for Borgstrom, her daughter and her grandson.