OGDEN -- Just a couple of feet away. That's how close fire was to Tracy Stone's front door early Wednesday at the Versailles Apartments, 3290 Van Buren Ave.
While Stone slept in Apt. 25 around 1:30 a.m., flames from a faulty electrical wire licked a hallway wall outside.
It wasn't until Ogden firefighters kicked in her door that she realized a blaze was raging nearby.
"They got her out," her father, Paul Wilson, said Wednesday afternoon while helping collect belongings from the apartment. "Thank God."
The fire began in wiring near a stairwell on the ground floor of the apartment complex, forcing the evacuation of tenants in 24 units, said Deputy Fire Chief Chad Tucker.
There were no injuries, and damage was estimated at $25,000.
The fire was reported by a female tenant who lives on the second floor, Tucker said. Her name was not released.
The woman was alerted by a smoke detector and, following instructions from a Weber 911 Emergency Center dispatcher, went to a window and waited to be rescued by firefighters.
"She did great," Tucker said.
Firefighters using a ladder truck entered her apartment through a window, while another group of firefighters broke through her door. While that was happening, other firefighters were knocking down the blaze, Tucker said.
Several other tenants escaped from their apartments on their own.
Adam Barker and his girlfriend, Elyse Damm, were preparing to go to bed in Apt. 31 when they flipped on a light switch and noticed haze and smoke inside the unit.
Barker opened the door and saw smoke filling the hallway.
He then climbed out of a window and managed to open a door on the east side of the building, allowing his girlfriend and other tenants to escape.
"I wasn't really scared," Barker said. "I didn't have time to be scared."
Across the hall from Barker's apartment, in Apt. 30, Steve Salmond was finishing some work on his computer when he smelled what he thought was a wood-burning stove.
He noticed haze inside the apartment near the ceiling. When he opened the door leading to the hallway, smoke billowed into his apartment.
"I knew we had a fire," said Barker, who along with his wife, Janeel, made it out of the apartment safely. They were allowed to return to their apartment about two hours after the fire began.
Two of the apartments were uninhabitable, and those tenants were being helped by the Red Cross.
The Ogden and South Ogden fire departments and Weber Fire District responded with a total of 24 personnel and four engines, two ladder trucks, a battalion chief, one paramedic rescue vehicle and one ambulance.