Fire damages Ogden apartment

Thursday , February 16, 2012 - 12:10 AM

Scott Schwebke

OGDEN — A fire early this morning caused heavy damage to an apartment unit but no injuries.

At 1:38 a.m. the Ogden Fire Department received a call about a blaze at an apartment complex at 3290 Van Buren Ave., the department said in a press release.

Click here to read an updated article

The caller reported a fire in a hallway just outside their apartment. Following the instructions of a Weber 911 Emergency Center dispatcher, the caller went to a window and waited for rescuers to arrive.

Fire crews found smoke throughout the building and fire in the stairwell just outside the callers’ apartment. Ogden police also responded and assisted fire crews in evacuating the apartments.

Fire crewsreached the victim who was trapped and he was taken out of the building without injury.

A deputy fire marshal has determined the fire to be accidental, caused by an electrical problem. The Ogden and South Ogden fire departments and Weber Fire District responded with a total of 24 personnel and four engines, two ladder trucks, a battalion chief, one paramedic rescue and one ambulance.

The fire caused an estimated $25,000 in damages. All tenants except two have been allowed back into their apartments. The Red Cross is assisting the two who could not return. No injuries were reported to firefighters or tenants.



Get the Standard-Examiner Advantage.
ERROR: Template articlesectionpopstories.lmo not found in theme default for section stories!