LAYTON -- A construction company installing fiber-optic cables for UTOPIA accidently caused a small gas leak Monday.
Around 11:55 a.m., fire crews responded to 2830 E. Sunset Drive after the construction company hit an underground gas line.
"This happens quite a bit," Battalion Chief Scott Maughan said. "A lot of times they're trying to fit another utility in with the rest of the utilities. Occasionally, they bump up to another utility, and that's what happened this time."
Fire crews secured the scene and limited access until a crew from Questar Gas arrived to shut off the gas.
Maughan said nearby homes were checked for high levels of natural gas, and no homes needed to be evacuated.