LAYTON -- Six homes had to be evacuated Thursday morning after crews installing fiber-optic cables for high-speed Internet clipped a two-inch natural gas line.
The break in the gas line happened at 10:41 a.m., on the block of 800 West and 2350 North.
Layton Fire Department Public Information Officer Doug Bitton said no injuries or fires resulted from the gas leak.
"We (evacuate) as a precautionary thing, to make sure people understand the hazards of natural gas," Bitton said.
Questar Gas crews arrived quickly and shut off the gas and power to 11 homes, including the six that were evacuated. The crew excavated under 2350 North and, after isolating the break, repaired the line.
Crews continued to test the levels in the early afternoon before restoring services to the 11 homes and allowing those who were evacuated to return to their homes.