Six layton homes evacuated after gas leak
Thursday , March 01, 2012 - 2:22 PM
LAYTON — Six homes had to be evacuated Thursday morning, after crews installing fiber-optic cables for high-speed internet clipped a two-inch natural gas line.
The break in the gas line happened at 10:41 a.m., at the block of 800 W and 2350 N.
Layton Fire Public Information Officer Doug Bitton said there were no injuries or fires as a result of the gas leak.
Bitton said when fire crews arrived at the scene, they smelled gas.
“We (evacuate) as precautionary thing to make sure people understand the hazards of natural gas,” Bitton said.
Questar Gas crews arrived quickly and shut off the gas and power to 11 homes, including the six that were evacuated. The crew evacuated underneath 2350 N and, after isolating where the break was, repaired the line.
Crews continued to test the levels in the early afternoon before restoring services to the 11 homes and allowing those who were evacuated to return to their homes.STORY:201203010061Six layton homes evacuated after gas leak/Police-Fire/2012/03/01/Six-layton-homes-evacuated-after-gas-leak.html-1