Highland novelist Brandon Mull is setting out on another whirlwind author adventure as he launches "Beyonders: Seeds of Rebellion."
Mull, the author of the best-selling "Fablehaven" series, will launch the book, geared toward young teenagers, at a free party and show Tuesday at Cottonwood High School in Murray.
"Of all the stuff I do in the country, this is by far the coolest event I do all year," said Mull, who used to run a comedy troupe. The show includes sets, music, comedy, games and characters in "cool costumes" from the book. Utah author Shannon Hale hosts the event.
"It's totally like a big show," Mull said. "It's more like a concert atmosphere at a book event."
The Beyonders trilogy began with "A World Without Heroes," which hit No. 1 on the New York Times best-seller list. That book told the story of two kids, Jason and Rachel, who crossed into a fantasy world via a secret portal in a hippo tank. In that fantasy world, an evil emperor had been systematically trying to get rid of all the heroes, Mull explained.
"He (the emperor) hasn't been killing the heroes, but turning them into sellouts and leaving them looking and feeling like failures and wrecking the whole idea of being a hero," Mull said. "This is the book where a lot of these broken heroes start actively joining the cause and helping these kids kind of mount a rebellion and put things right."
Mull thinks readers will enjoy and be surprised by how big and epic the story becomes. He has already finished writing the final book in the series, which he believes is his best work yet.
"I describe it to people as a fantasy that starts like 'Narnia' and finishes like 'Lord of the Rings,' " he said. "By the third book you've got kingdoms and wars and a really wide cast of characters ... and some of them have some really deep scars."
Brandon Mull events
Mull will be a busy author this week as he launches "Beyonders: Seeds of Rebellion," the second novel in his Beyonders series. His schedule of appearances include two Top of Utah events:
* 7 p.m. Tuesday, launch party at Cottonwood High School, 5715 S. 1300 East, Murray. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Mull, Shannon Hale, D.C. Comedy and surprise guests are on the schedule.
* 7 p.m. Wednesday, Provo City Library, 550 N. University Ave., Provo.
* 2 p.m. Thursday, Utah Educational Library Media Association workshop at Shepherd Union Building, Weber State University, 3848 Harrison Blvd., Ogden.
* 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Riverdale Deseret Book, 4151 Riverdale Road, Riverdale
* 6:30 p.m. Friday, Southpointe Deseret Book, 10673 S. State St., Sandy
* 4:30 p.m. Saturday, The King's English Bookshop, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City.
These are all free events.