Fire destroys West Point home Tuesday night
Thursday , March 15, 2012 - 6:22 AM
A fire destroyed a house at 217 N. 1750 West in West Point on Tuesday night. The fire also killed...
WEST POINT — Nichole Poulson stood on the sidewalk with her three boys huddled in blankets at her side, watching firefighters work on what remained of their home.
A fire destroyed their house at 217 N. 1750 West in West Point on Tuesday night. The fire also killed two of the family’s cats.
Late Tuesday evening, Poulson said she heard a loud pop come from the garage. Her husband, Brody Poulson, told her and the boys to get out of the house.
Dispatchers paged firefighters about the house fire at 10:22 p.m., and though they arrived within minutes, the garage was already fully involved, North Davis Fire District Chief Roger Bodily said.
The door between the garage and the kitchen was left open, and the flames were able to quickly spread to the kitchen and the living room before firefighters could get the fire knocked down, he said. The bedrooms also had smoke damage.
Brody Poulson was taken to Davis Hospital and Medical Center as a precaution for possible smoke inhalation.
The Poulsons owned three cats and as of late Tuesday night, firefighters had confirmed that two had died in the fire and they had no news on the third cat.
As best as they could tell Tuesday night, firefighters believe the fire started after Brody Poulson had been working with remote-controlled cars in the garage. He had placed some batteries in a charger, and Bodily said some form of electrical fire may have started in the area where he worked. Sometimes batteries can overheat, he said.
Bodily estimated the damage at $200,000, including the home, the family’s two vehicles and their possessions.STORY:201203140056Fire destroys West Point home Tuesday night/Local/2012/03/14/Fire-destroys-West-Point-home-Tuesday-night.html-1