Fire rips through layton home
Thursday , March 15, 2012 - 7:21 PM
A fire Wednesday night in layton damaged a home and two vehicles. Officials say the vehicles are a...
LAYTON — Two people were displaced from their home Wednesday night after a fire damaged the home and two vehicles in the garage.
A man who lived at the residence, at 402 N. Owen St., was treated at the scene for singed hair and a minor burn to the head, said Layton Fire Public Information Officer Doug Bitton.
Fire crews responding at 9:44 p.m. found an attached garage on fire.
“There where two occupants inside the home at the time the fire started,” Bitton said. “They identified hearing a pop, and soon fire was seen coming into the home, and they quickly evacuated.”
The firefighters went to work, positioning their fire hose streams toward the garage while simultaneously protecting a neighboring house to the north.
Flames were venting from the side of the garage and charred the neighboring house. The flames also melted the home’s gas meter dials.
The Kaysville Fire Department provided support in extinguishing the fire.
Bitton said two vehicles are a total loss.
The fire is still under investigation, and fire officials estimate the damage to be near $90,000.
The home did not have any smoke alarms, and fire officials point to this fire as an example of the importance of smoke alarms.
“If this family would have been asleep, the outcome may have been devastating due to the loss of life,” Bitton said.
“Well-maintained smoke alarms with good batteries can warn family members in less than a minute from the start of the fire. Then, knowing the quickest route to evacuate is essential.”STORY:201203150038Fire rips through layton home/Police-Fire/2012/03/15/Fire-rips-through-layton-home.html-1