BOUNTIFUL -- A firefighter fell through part of a floor while battling a blaze at a Bountiful home.
Just after 11 p.m. Friday, a woman returned to her house near 1100 South and 40 East to see smoke coming out of the chimney. Because she hadn't lit her fireplace in years and her windows were dark, she called 911, said South Davis Metro Fire Chief Jim Rampton.
Once inside, one of his men fell and the regulator on his mask came off, Rampton said. He was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation but was otherwise fine.
The fire crews, with help from the Farmington and Salt Lake City departments, had the blaze out in an hour. They had to fight it defensively at first, and it took awhile to find the fire in the basement level, Rampton said.
The flames significantly damaged the home -- an estimated $100,000 -- but the house may still be salvageable, he said.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation.