Utah sounds alarm about huffing glue
Monday , March 19, 2012 - 6:57 AM
PROVO -- Health officials in Utah are trying to warn students about the long-term consequences of using glue, markers or other toxic chemicals to get high.
Utah County authorities are spreading the word as part of National Inhalants and Poisons Awareness Week, which started Sunday.
A recent survey of eighth graders in Utah County shows 9 percent of students admitted to using inhalants at some point in their lives. That's slightly lower than the national 13 percent rate of students in grades 8 through 12 who admitted to huffing chemicals.
Besides a temporary high, huffing can lead to damage of the brain, heart, kidneys and other organs. It can also cause loss of consciousness or sudden death.
Health officials say more than 1,000 products on the market are dangerous when they're inhaled.STORY:201203190080Utah sounds alarm about huffing glue/Health/2012/03/19/Utah-sounds-alarm-about-huffing-glue.html-1