To be successful in whatever field you are in, it is necessary to develop and keep a positive mindset. People want to deal with others who are positive, motivating, inspiring and enjoyable to be around. Optimism attracts success.
Companies hire and promote employees who see opportunities in difficult situations. Positive people radiate an energy that makes others see them as more competent, creative, resilient and better performers.
Being positive is not always easy because there are so many negatives around us today. You may need to learn and practice strategies that will keep you positive and focused on your goals and aspirations.
Here are some strategies that can help:
* Look for the silver lining. Nothing is ever totally wrong. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. You can usually find some good in the bleakest of situations. Be a problem solver. Look for new opportunities in each setback.
* Have a purpose. When we have a sense of purposeful meaning in our work, we are more positive toward it. Is your job making a difference? If not, how can you make it more meaningful to you, co-workers or customers?
* Focus on team-building. Develop bonds with co-workers. Create opportunities to thank, celebrate and energize them. Get together to support and encourage each other. A sense of belonging creates positive energy.
* Hang around positive people. Don't let negative people get you down. Find like-minded, glass-half-full people to associate with. Focus your thoughts on all the good people you work with or do business with.
* Read daily. There are many good books that can help keep you motivated. This daily ritual will help remind you to stay on course and pave the way for a great day.
* Recharge yourself. Look for, and attend, conferences and motivational seminars on a periodic basis. These will keep you charged and focused. Being in the energy of a motivating and positive force can make a big difference.
* Pump yourself up. Each morning look in the mirror and tell yourself you're going to have a great day. Shout it out and get excited. If you leave the house charged up, it's going to result in positive things happening.
* Divert negative thoughts. Say "stop" to yourself whenever you start thinking negatively. The way to create a positive mindset is to continue bringing your thoughts back to something positive. Over time, this simple technique can help retrain your mind.
* Stay focused on your goals. Believe in yourself, and decide that you will accomplish your goals. See yourself achieving them. Remind yourself daily of why you want to achieve them and how you are going to do it.
* Smile. This will bring an immediate improved outlook with the least amount of effort. A smile produces feel-good juices running through your body. Make this a habit and it will be a powerful magnet for all good things.
Our success depends on our frame of mind, not the economy or the marketplace. Don't waste precious energy on worry, doubt and negativity. Channel it all toward your road to success.
Brad Larsen is a life coach and corporate consultant from Northern Utah. He can be reached at email@example.com.