Bell wins nomination at Weber County Republican convention

Apr 13 2012 - 12:33am

Images

NICHOLAS DRANEY/Standard-Examiner
Delegates register at the Weber County Republican convention at Ben Lomond High School in Ogden on Thursday.
Bell
NICHOLAS DRANEY/Standard-Examiner
Delegates talk to Greiner at the Weber County Republican convention at Ben Lomond High School in Ogden on Thursday.
NICHOLAS DRANEY/Standard-Examiner
Delegates register at the Weber County Republican convention at Ben Lomond High School in Ogden on Thursday.
Bell
NICHOLAS DRANEY/Standard-Examiner
Delegates talk to Greiner at the Weber County Republican convention at Ben Lomond High School in Ogden on Thursday.

OGDEN -- Matthew Bell easily won the Weber County Republican Party's nomination for a county commission seat during a convention Thursday night at Ben Lomond High School.

Bell received 413 ballots, which equates to about 70 percent of the Republican Party delegate vote, while Jon Greiner got 173 ballots for the remaining 30 percent of the vote total.

Bell will now face Democratic Party candidate Corey Combe in November's general election. The winner will replace County Commissioner Craig Dearden, who is not seeking re-election.

After the votes were tallied, Greiner congratulated Bell and said the results are part of the grass-roots political process.

Bell described Greiner as a "good friend," adding he is pleased that his efforts to become the Republican Party's nominee paid off.

"We've worked really hard," said Bell, who estimated that he knocked on 200 doors to secure the nomination.

Earlier in the evening, Bell and Greiner had an opportunity to present their qualifications to delegates, who filled the auditorium at Ben Lomond High School.

Bell, 51, is currently the Weber County Republican Party chairman and is a lieutenant with the Weber County Sheriff's Office. He is the former co-owner of Bell Photography, which is operated by his family.

Bell told the delegates he isn't a politician and promised, if elected, to listen to constituents. "I'm here to serve you," he said.

In addition, Bell maintains that government should run in an efficient manner.

"I believe government needs to operate at the lowest level possible," he said. "Government is not the solution to all our needs."

Greiner told delegates that his background as a former Ogden police chief and state senator would allow him to be a successful county commissioner. "I think experience means a lot," he said.

The convention also included speeches by Republican candidates running for several state and federal offices.

From Around the Web

  +