PLEASANT VIEW — The cool weather brought out the best in a few goal-scoring machines on Thursday as boys soccer took center stage in Top of Utah prep sports.
With baseball, softball and some of the other sports sidelined due to a steady rain, soccer teams took to the pitch.
Weber posted a solid 5-0 win over Northridge in Region 1 play, boosted by four goals from Tyler Murdock. Syracuse’s Tyler Coffee was also on fire, scoring three second-half tallies in the Titan’s 3-2 win over Fremont.
Box Elder’s Bradley Nelson, Layton Christian’s Berke Kalemogle and Davis’ Mitch Parkinson joined the scoring frenzy on Thursday with a pair of goals in their team’s respective wins.
“This was a great team effort,” Weber coach Jan Swift said. “I was really pleased with the defense and we were able to play a lot of players today.”
Bryce Child added a goal for the Warriors, while Jaden Bybee had three assists and Kenny Gordon chipped in with a pair.
Middle back Zach Barker paced the defense, while Joe Wheelwright earned the shutout in goal for the Warriors, which improved to 7-1-2 on the season, 3-0-1 in Region 1 play.
Northridge dropped to 3-5-0 overall, 2-2-0 in league action.
A full slate of games are set for today, although scattered storms are also in the forecast once again.
Fans are encouraged to call their favorite school for game time and location changes.
• SYRACUSE 3, FREMONT 2: At Syracuse, the Silver Wolves won the first half but the Titans came on strong to pick up the league win.
Syracuse improved to 2-6-0, 2-2-0 in league play. Casey Taylor and Gunner Burrell scored goals for Fremont, now 2-8-0, 0-4-0.
• DAVIS 3, LAYTON 0: At Layton, Parkinson scored a pair and Cooper Vandermerwe added a goal as the Darts kept pace with the Warriors atop the league standings.
Mitch Jensen posted the shutout in goal for Davis, 8-1-1 overall, 3-0-1 in league.
Layton dropped to 5-4-0, 1-3-0.
• BOX ELDER 4, SKY VIEW 0: At Brigham City, the Bees scored a pair in each half to secure a key first region win.
Eduardo Marcias and Fernando Espara added goals for Box Elder. Trevor Cobbley earned the shutout in goal for the Bees, 2-3-2 overall, 1-1-0. Sky View fell to 1-3-, 0-2-0 in region play.
• LAYTON CHRISTIAN 8, MOUNT VERNON 0: At Murray, the Eagles improved to 5-1-0 in league action with the offensive onslaught.
Kalemogle was joined in the scoring by Diego Perez, Dong Gyu Im, Ignacio Baeza, Seong Dae Shin, Sung-Min Kim and Tanapol Sanguthai. Raphael Riera preserved the shutout in goal.
• NORTH SUMMIT 11, LAYTON CHRISTIAN 4: At Coalville, the Eagles fell to the Braves in a game that featured 20 hits.
North Summit did much of its scoring in the first two innings. Austin Scholes homered and doubled for the home team, while Jay Seright earned the win on the mound.
Jaxon Vernon and Rob McMichael also doubled for North Summit. David Reddington took the loss for the Eagles.
COACHES REMINDER: Varsity coaches are encouraged to report the results of the games by calling 801-625-4261 or 801-625-4264.