OGDEN -- With the score tied 1-1 at halftime of Friday's Region 11 boys soccer battle between cross-town rivals Ben Lomond and Ogden, fans might have expected a thrilling finish, much like the Scots' 3-2 OT win back in March.
But this time around, the Tigers provided all the thrills with three second-half goals and a convincing win at Lions Club Park.
"We really played well in scone half, moving the ball and just finishing better," Ogden coach Sterling Castle said.
"Ben Lomond is a good team. They work hard and put you under a lot of pressure. At halftime, we talked about getting control of the midfield and were able to do that."
Alejandro Garcia, Dayton Wright, Diego Diaz and Eric Calderon posted goals for the Tigers, leading the league at 7-1-0, 7-4-0 overall.
Diaz and Pablo Sanchez added assist for Ogden, while Josue Valtierra continued his strong play in the midfield.
Luis Zarate scored for Ben Lomond (4-5-0 overall, 3-2-0 league).
The annual two-game series is known as The Old Firm, with the Tigers claiming the victory on aggregate scoring (6-4).
Bear River 3, Stansbury 2
At Garland, the Bears got the winning score from Craig Barfuss to stay close to Ogden in the lague chase.
Tanner Christensen and Ryan Munns had goals for Bear River (7-2-1 overall, 6-1-0 league). Stansbury fell to 4-5-0, 4-3-0 in league.
* GRANTSVILLE 3, MORGAN 2: At Grantsville, the Cowboys earned their first victory of the season, thanks to a hat trick from Sam Williamson.
Morgan (3-7-0, 2-5-0) led 2-1 at halftime.
* BONNEVILLE 1, MOUNTAIN CREST 0: At Washington Terrace, the Lakers earned a physical win over the Mustangs to stay atop the league standings.
Gage Woodward blasted a penalty kick home in the first 20 minutes of action, and the Bonneville defense kept its cool the rest of the way.
"The wind picked up in the second half, and both teams had some dangerous chances," Bonneville coach Mike Hickman said. "The defense did a really good job for us."
Chandley Baddley led a strong collective defense effort for the Lakers (6-2-0, 2-0-0 in league).
Mountain Crest fell to 4-4-0, 1-1-0 league.
* ROY 4, LOGAN 0: At Roy, the Royals evened their league mark at 1-1-0 with the win.
Mike Ropelato recorded the hat trick, and teammate Nate Ericosn added a goal.
Kayden Brinkerhoff earned the shutout in goal for the Royals. Logan is now 4-3-1, 1-1-0 in league.
In a non-league game, Alta shut out Sky View 2-0 at Rio Tinto Stadium.
* WOODS CROSS 3, CLEARFIELD 1: At Woods Cross, the Falcons were surprised on the road to fall to 1-2-0 in region action, 7-2-0 overall.
Leo Calquin scored a pair for the Wildcats, with Ethan Cope adding the other goal.
Cam Spafford scored for the Falcons.
In the other Region 6 game, East topped Bountiful 2-1.
Baseball Region 1
* DAVIS 2, NORTHRIDGE 0: At Kaysville, the Darts and Knights battled for every run in a Region 1 battle. The Darts pushed across and early score and got some insurance from Zac Fuller's solo homer in the fourth.
Davis' Tyler Hall and Branden Petersen of Northridge allowed just a few hits each on the day.
Petersen allowed three hits, but ended up with the loss.
Hall allowed four hits. Teammate Dusty Argyle added a double. In the first games of the series, Davis won 11-0 and 26-0.
* FREMONT 5, WEBER 4: At Plain City, the Silver Wolves pushed across a score in the seventh inning to secure the win over their rival.
Fremont outhit Weber 10-5, with doubles from Lloyd Stephens and Braden Stratford.
Taylor Kranendonk picked up the win on the mound.
* SYRACUSE 6, LAYTON 3: At Layton, the visiting Titans got a good pitching performance from Dakota Yoshimura and a solo homer from Sawyer Morain to earn the win.
Layton's Jaden Trujillo took the loss on the mound. The Lancers hurt their cause with four errors.
* BOX ELDER 8, ROY 0: At Roy, the home field did little to help the Royals. Sophomore right-hander Jayk Brooks shut down Roy's lineup with a nifty two-hitter.
Cam Simmons and Justin Adams each had a pair of hits, and Kaelton Heil's two-RBI double highlighted Box Elder's seven-run outburst in the third.
Brooks struck out five and issued two hits.
Cy Bambrough took the loss for Roy.
* MOUNTAIN CREST 7, BONNEVILLE 3: At Hyrum, the Mustangs exploted for five in the fourth inning, and that proved to be the difference.
Mountain Crest's Ben Weese struck out six to earn the win.
Bonneville's Will Heward took the loss on the mound but had a double in the losing cause.
* STANSBURY 10, MORGAN 1: At Stansbury, the Trojans fell. No details were reported from the league game.
Softball Region 1
* SYRACUSE 11, NORTHRIDGE 0 (FIVE INNINGS): At Syracuse, senior right-hander Taylor Tann tossed a one-hitter with seven strikeouts and one walk.
The Titans scored all of their runs in the first two innings, while also converting seven walks into four runs.
Courtney Starks drilled a two-run double and scored a run, and freshman Abbey Bowden went 2-for-2 with two RBIs and a run for Syracuse (7-7-1 overall, 2-0 league). Bailley Carter, Tanner Harvey and Natasha Monroe each had an RBI single.
The Knights are 4-9, 0-2.
* TOOELE 5, BEAR RIVER 0: At Tooele's Deseret Peak Complex, the two-time defending league champion Bears had their 10-game winning streak snapped in being shut out for the first time this season.
Morgan Summers went 2-for-4 with a stolen base and Kassi Fronk was 2-for-4 for four-time defending state 3-A champion Bear River (12-3, 6-1), which blanked the Buffaloes 10-0 in six innings on March 21 at Garland.
Tooele is 8-9, 5-2.
* STANSBURY 12, BEN LOMOND 2 (FIVE INNINGS): At Stansbury Park, the Stallions (15-4, 4-2) scored in every inning.
The winless Scots are 0-14, 0-7.
In a non-league game, Sky View topped Morgan 18-3 at Morgan.