PLEASANT VIEW -- Next week is the big showdown, but like a champion thoroughbred, the Warriors have blinders on.
Trying to keep pace with Davis atop the Region 1 boys soccer standings, Weber nabbed the game's first and only goal, and did just enough down the stretch to hold off Layton for a 1-0 home victory on Thursday.
"It's always hard not to look forward to big games like that," said Weber coach Jan Swift on next week's rematch with the Darts, a game that could determine the region title. "But our team knows the importance on focusing on every game. You can't look past anyone in this league."
The Warriors and Darts -- who played against Syracuse on Thursday -- battled to a double-overtime draw in their first meeting on March 29, the only blemish on either squad's undefeated region records.
Weber (9-1-2, 5-0-1 Region 1) controlled the game early, before senior forward Kenny Gordon chipped in a cross from striker Tyler Murdock in the 26th minute, just past the outstretched arms of Lancers goalkeeper Scott Sweeten.
Both teams traded momentum for the next 50 minutes, as neither side could take control of the match. Play was stopped on numerous occasions, including four yellow cards in the first half and several injury stoppages in the second half.
"When the whistle is blowing a lot, calls like that slow the game down," Swift said. "It makes it hard to get into a rhythm, but our guys still gave a great team effort. None of them quit."
Layton (6-5-0, 2-4-0) made a few charges in the match's waning moments, but couldn't get off a well-placed shot before the final whistle blew.
* NORTHRIDGE 4, FREMONT 3: At Plain City, Christian Hall scored the second of hits two goals in stoppage time to help the Knights claim the road win.
Connor Roberts and Taige Smith also had goals.
Northridge improved to 3-3-0 in league, 4-6-0 overall.
Brayden Searle, Hayden Spencer and Gunner Burrell each had goals for the young Silver Wolves (0-6-0, 2-10-0) who battled to tie the score on three occasions.
* DAVIS 3, SYRACUSE 0: At Syracuse, Cooper VanderMerwe, Devin Farnes and John Taylor posted goals for the Darts (5-1-0, 10-1-1).
Mitch Jensen recorded his eighth shutout of the season.
Syracuse is 2-4-0, 2-8-0 overall.
* BONNEVILLE 2, BOX ELDER 1: At Washington Terrace, the Lakers had plenty of scoring chances but were pushed to the end by the Bees.
After a scoreless first half, Chandler Baddley scored on a corner kick from Sorie Morah. Ten minutes later, Gage Woodward put the Lakers ahead 2-0.
But the Bees earned a PK, and Fernando Esparza delivered to tighten things up.
Coach Mike Hickman said the Lakers (3-1-0, 7-3-0) were able to control the ball and dodge the Box Elder (1-3-0, 2-5-2) final surge.
* ROY 1, MOUNTAIN CREST 0: At Hyrum, the Royals (3-1-0, 7-3-0) got a 70th-minute goal from Nate Erickson and earned a strong road win.
Sky View and Logan played a night game.
* OGDEN 3, STANSBURY 0: At Lions Club Park, the Tigers controlled the ball, making life easy for keeper Auggie Garcia.
Rocque Ceja had a goal and an assist, and Diego Diaz and Eric Calderon added goals for league-leading Ogden (9-1-0, 9-4-0). Alejandro Garcia and Pablo Sanchez added assists.
Ogden coach Sterling Castle credited the work of the back line for the shutout.
* LAYTON CHRISTIAN 7, WEST RIDGE 1: At West Jordan, Tanapol Sanguthai and Rafael Riera recorded hat tricks and Diego Perez also scored for the Eagles (6-1-0 league, 6-2-0 overall).
Felipe Hermany and Ignacio Baeza added assists, while Berke Kalemoglu and Austin Backman shared goalkeeping duties.