* Celebrate Children's Day/Book Day (El Dia de los NiÃ±os/El Dia de los Libros) at 6 p.m. Thursday at the Weber County Main Library, 2464 Jefferson Ave., Ogden. The celebration emphasizes the importance of advocating literacy for children of all linguistic and cultural backgrounds. Visit www.weberpl.lib.ut.us/content/calendar for more information. This is a free event.
Hastings author events this week include:
* Wyoming author Reid Lance Rosenthal signs and discusses his novels "Threads West" and "Maps of Fate" (Rockin SR Publishing, $14.95 each), 3-7 p.m. Saturday.
* Utah author Lyle J. Barnes discusses and signs copies of his books "Notorious Two-Bit Street" (Infinity Publishing, $21.95) and "Gone with the Railroad" (Infinity Publishing, $16.95), 1-3 p.m. Saturday.
These are free events at Hastings, 340 E. 525 North, Harrisville.
* WSU's department of history and the Weber County Library will host "Let's Talk About It: Making Sense of the American Civil War" at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Pleasant Valley Library, 5568 Adams Ave., Washington Terrace. This is a free event.
* NASA Astrophysics Educator Ambassador Pamela Whiffen will lead a free hands-on workshop with a wide variety of astronomy activities geared for K-12 students from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at Pleasant Valley Library, 5568 S. Adams Ave., Washington Terrace. The workshop is open to all teachers, parents, Scout leaders and other interested community members. Registration is required. Lunch will be provided from noon-1 p.m. Contact Kathy Pudlock at 801-337-2690 to register or for more information.
* Author and Oxford University professor Bryan Sykes will present his comprehensive genetic portrait of America in his new book "DNA USA" at 7 p.m. Friday in the main auditorium of City Library, 210 E. 400 South, Salt Lake City. This is a free event.