OGDEN — What was supposed to be a showdown quickly turned into a beatdown.
With Bear River trailing Ogden by just three points in the Region 11 soccer race, the Bears had a shot to shake up the standings on Tuesday. But the Tigers scored early and often — including five times in the second half — throttling Bear River 7-2 at Lions Club Park, locking up at least a share of the region crown.
“We did our thing and kept them off balance,” Ogden coach Sterling Castle said. “Bear River did a good job of making us play their game early, but we made the adjustments we needed to.”
Five different Tigers found the back of the net, including two apiece from forwards Eric Calderon and Ulises Acosta, as Ogden (10-4, 10-1 Region 11) outshot the Bears 20-11 on senior day.
The Tigers didn’t waste any time getting on the scoreboard as Calderon opened the floodgates with a goal in the first minute of action.
Acosta struck next in the 18th minute on an assist from Dayton Wright, but the Bears (9-4-1, 8-3) pulled to within one on a header from sophomore Tanner Porter just before halftime.
But it was all Ogden from there, as the Tigers repeatedly victimized Bear River’s back line on transition passes. Senior Lyden Egbert and Calderon each scored to put Ogden ahead 4-1 before the 50th minute.
Porter picked up one more goal for the Bears — his team-leading 14th on the season — but scores from Josue Valtierra and Roque Ceja put the Tigers out of reach.
“We are a very deep team with some talented youth,” Castle said.
“I have a lot of sophomores that get good varsity time, so that takes the load off our seniors a little bit, so these kids are a dangerous bunch right now.”
Acosta chipped in his fifth goal of the season on an assist from Calderon in the 79th minute, to close out the scoring. Ceja, Valtierra and Wright also had assists in the second half.
WEBER 5, DAVIS 0: At Kaysville, Kenny Gordon scored twice and Timothy Wheelwright earned the shutout in goal as the Warriors topped the Darts.
Jayce Call and Parker Dixon each added one goal for the Darts.
• SYRACUSE 2, NORTHRIDGE 1: At Layton, the Titans came out on top with the golden goal in overtime after the Knights tied the game in the second half.
• LAYTON 3, FREMONT 1: At Layton, Christian Love, Joseph Armstrong and Trevor Obray all found the net for the Lancers.
• BONNEVILLE 3, SKY VIEW 1: At Washington Terrace, the Lakers missed a lot of shots but came away with a convincing win.
Bonneville led 1-0 after a frustrating half of miscues and goals called off. Still Jordan Jarvis’ score on a Gage Woodward pass gave the Lakers the lead.
In the 65th minute, Carson Fackrell scored on a PK. Later, Woodward took a Fackrell cross and headed it home, allowing coach Mik Hickman to clear the bench.
• ROY 3, BOX ELDER 0: At Brigham City, Kayden Brinkerhoff was perfect in goal and Damien Dibble, Michael Ropelato and Blake Toyn each scored for the Bees.
In the other league game, Logan defeated Mountain Crest 3-1.
• CLEARFIELD 2, EAST 1: At Salt Lake City, the Falcons knocked off the Leopards, giving East its first region loss.
• OAKLEY 1, LAYTON CHRISTIAN 0: At Oakley, the Eagles dropped a low-scoring game.