* Brigham City Library's reading/discussion series "Rule of Law" continues at 7 p.m. Thursday as Weber State University professor Brandon Little leads a discussion of "War Law: Understanding International Law and Armed Conflict" by Michael Byers. The discussion is free and open to the public at the library, 26 E. Forest St., Brigham.
* Ogden residents Ralph P. Vander Heide and Judith H. Vander Heide will sign and discuss their self-published Mormon historical fiction novel "Chris And Louisa" (Xlibris, $29.99) 3:30-5:30 p.m. May 6 at the Eccles Community Art Center, 2580 Jefferson Avenue, Ogden. The event will include a reception with cheese and beverages. Visit www.Xlibris.com for more information.
* Ogden author Rhonda Lauritzen signs and reads from her self-published book "Every Essential Element" ($13.95) 6-8 p.m. Friday at Union Station, 2501 Wall Ave., Ogden. This is a free event.
Author events this week at the King's English Bookshop include:
* Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of the Humane Society of the United States, will read from and sign "The Bond" (William Morrow, $16.99) at 7 p.m. Tuesday.
* Melanie Thorne will read from and sign her debut novel, "Hand Me Down" (Dutton Adult, $25.95) at 7 p.m. Thursday.
* Authors from the Pendrell Publishing Group, which specializes in young adult fiction, will read from and sign their books at 7 p.m. Saturday. The evening will include Utah authors Angela Corbett and her debut novel, "Eternal Starling"; Lani Woodland, author of "Indelible" and "Intrinsical"; and California writer Dan Haring, author of "Oldsoul."
These are free events at the bookshop, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City.