OGDEN — Filling the shoes of Weber State University President F. Ann Millner may take until early next year.
Every step of the process takes time, said Alan E. Hall, one of 21 members of the search committee that will make a final recommendation to the Utah Board of Regents before any hiring decision is made.
“We would rather keep her than replace her, of course, but Ann has said she is more than willing to stay until the next president is in the president’s office,” said Hall, who also heads the university’s Board of Trustees.
“Ann will continue until the next president is seated.”
Millner, Weber State president since 2002, has announced her plan to step down once a replacement is found and speculated that could be as early as the fall semester.
Hall said Tuesday that it would be wonderful if things work out that quickly, but his guess was that things would take longer.
Major steps include:
• The search committee conducting a series of meetings for public input on the search.
• The search committee considering applicants’ resumes and applications. Hall thinks the process could take until the end of August.
• Conducting phone interviews with the top 12 or so candidates, probably in September; identifying the top three or so candidates to pursue, probably in October; and scheduling Utah visits and interviews for the finalists, possibly during November.
• Seeking Board of Regents approval for the top candidate, making an offer and hiring the candidate, and asking the newly hired president to wrap up any remaining business with a current employer and relocate, if necessary, to Utah.
“If someone is already in a leadership position, they have to give notice and wind down whatever they are doing,” Hall said. “My guess is it wouldn’t be much sooner than January.
“So Ann will stay the president until she is formally replaced, and we will continue to support her in her position. It’s important we have an orderly transition.”
Public comment sought
The Weber State University presidential search committee has scheduled meetings to receive community feedback on the search for a new president. The one-hour meetings are scheduled for:
• 3 p.m. Monday and noon Tuesday, Room 404 (Sky Room), Shepherd Union Building, WSU, 3848 Harrison Blvd., Ogden.
• 5:30 p.m. May 14, Marshall White Center, 222 28th St., Ogden.
• 8 p.m. May 15, Room 117, WSU-Davis campus, 2750 N. University Park Blvd., Layton.
• 5:30 p.m. May 16, Lindquist Alumni Center Garden Room, WSU, Ogden.