ROY -- Michael Ropelato scored a pair of goals. Trase Stapley scored a pair as well.
And Roy High's boys soccer team marched into the state 4-A tournament quarterfinals with a strong first-round victory over Herriman on Wednesday afternoon at Sand Ridge Park.
Kayden Brinkherhoff posted the shutout for Region 5 co-champion Roy, which now hosts Orem -- a 2-1 overtime winner over Bountiful -- at
4 p.m. Friday.
"We came out strong early and got a pair of goals. I think that settled everyone into their game," Roy coach Glenn Puckrin said. "Everyone played well; it wasn't our best game for sure, and we'll need to tighten things up."
On a day when several contests were decided by a single score, Puckrin was especially pleased to get a shutout.
"Kayden made of couple of good saves, including two on one play," Puckrin said. "The shutout was important as well. I know Friday's game will be a much tougher battle."
Stapley was moved to forward from his usual fullback position due to player injuries, and helped created numerous opportunites with Ropelato.
"They worked well together," Puckrin added.
* BONNEVILLE 1, OLYMPUS 0: At Salt Lake City, the Titan's Jeff Brown scored the game's only goal to send the Lakers out of the tournament.
* MOUNTAIN VIEW 2, CLEARFIELD 2 (MOUNTAIN VIEW WINS ON PENALTY KICKS, 5-3): At Orem, Clearfield rallied with a pair of late goals then played stout defense in the overtime.
But the Falcons ran out of momentum in PKs, falling 5-3.
The Bruins' Austin McBride blocked a Clearfield kick for the martin of victory.
* LOGAN 3, HILLCREST 2 (OT): At Logan, the Grizzlies were the only other Top of Utah team to earn a win, while five other schools fell in the opening round.
Kayd Marquez ended a 2-2 tie with his overtime goal in a hard fought victory over the Huskies.
Jameson Hartman and Jose Beto Rincon also scored for Logan.
* TIMPANOGOS 2, WOODS CROSS 1: At Woods Cross, Austin Buxton scored a goal four minutes into the first overtime as the Timberwolves pulled off the road upset.
Leo Calquin scored for the Wildcats.
* MURRAY 4, MOUNTAIN CREST 0: At Murray, the Mustangs fell behind early and could not rally.
Andrew Clayton scored two goals for the Spartans.