MLB notes: Indians' Santana likely headed to concussion list

May 26 2012 - 10:51pm

CHICAGO -- Cleveland Indians catcher Carlos Santana is likely headed to the seven-day concussion list.

Manager Manny Acta said Saturday that Santana -- a former Ogden Raptors -- would probably wind up there because of a mild concussion. Acta also said shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera is day to day because of tightness in his left hamstring. Both players left Friday's game against the Chicago White Sox.

Cabrera hurt himself going after a ball and was replaced in the seventh inning, while Santana left in the eighth after being struck by a foul tip.

The injuries are a big blow to a team already missing Travis Hafner.

Hafner had an MRI on Thursday on his right knee and took an anti-inflammatory for irritation in the meniscus.

* BRAVES PLACE CHIPPER JONES ON DL WITH BRUISED LEG: The Atlanta Braves placed Chipper Jones on the 15-day disabled list Saturday with a bruised left and recalled catcher J.C. Boscan from Triple-A Gwinnett.

Jones is hitting .307 with five homers and 24 RBIs in his final season. He will retire after the season.

The loss of Jones could be a key blow to the Braves' hopes of remaining close in the NL East. The Braves are 19-5 when Jones starts and 7-16 in games he doesn't, including five straight losses before Saturday's game.

Boscan, ,was hitting .192 with two homers at Gwinnett, started Saturday against the Washington Nationals.

The 40-year-old Jones missed seven straight starts before landing on the disabled list. He had a ground ball hit his leg on May 18 in Tampa Bay. His only appearance in a game since was a walk as a pinch-hitter on Wednesday night.

Jones had the hematoma drained by Dr. Marvin Royster on Saturday morning.

* SOURCE: O'S, JONES AGREE TO DEAL THROUGH 2018: A person familiar with the negotiations says the Baltimore Orioles and center fielder Adam Jones have agreed to a six-year contract through 2018 worth about $85 million.

It is the most expensive contract in team history.

The person spoke Saturday on condition of anonymity because the deal, which starts next year, had not yet been announced. The Orioles will hold a Sunday morning news conference to formally announce the deal.

Jones, who has a $6.15 million, one-year contract, had been eligible for arbitration next winter and for free agency after the 2013 season. Vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette began negotiating a new deal with the 2009 All-Star weeks ago.

Jones took a physical this week, a prerequisite to a long-term deal.

The 26-year-old Jones has a 17-game hitting streak and leads Baltimore with 14 homers and 31 RBIs.

* SOURCE: MONTERO GETS 5-YEAR, $60 MILLION DEAL: A person with knowledge of the situation says Arizona Diamondbacks catcher Miguel Montero has agreed to a five-year, $60 million contract.

The person asked not to be identified because the agreement had not officially been announced. That is expected to happen within the next two days.

From Around the Web

  +