* Weber Reads invites children to enjoy poetry in the park.
Weber Reads, a community reading program, focuses on American poet Emily Dickinson during the 2012-2013 season. Children are invited to a program kick-off, with poetry, rhyming fun and craft projects in Ogden parks. Each child receives a "Favorite Poems for Kids" coloring book and an invitation to join the Weber County Library's Summer Reading Club, which meets weekly in all library branches.
Carlos Camacho, Weber County Library bilingual specialist, leads the poetry activities, which are held from noon to 1:30 p.m. Wednesdays. The first poetry program is June 13, at Monroe Park, 850 30th St. On June 20, activities move to Lorin Farr Park, at 769 Canyon Road. Liberty Park, 751 21st St., is the site of activities on June 27.
The programs are free. For more information, call 801-337-2636.
* Utah historian Forrest Brown will lead a community-wide discussion on David McCullough's award-winning book "John Adams" at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Weber County Library Ogden Valley branch, 131 S. 7400 East, Huntsville. The event is part of the Weber Reads program "The Founders and Their Documents." Books will be available at the reference desk. Call 801-337-2660 for more information.
* Ogden author Scottie Crnko discusses and signs copies of his book "Hope Waits In Byrd Spring" (Create Space, $12.99) 3-5 p.m. on Saturday at Hastings, 340 E. 525 North, Harrisville. This is a free event.
Author events this week at The King's English Bookshop include:
* Utah and Wyoming author Terry Tempest Williams reads from and signs her new book "When Women Were Birds" (Sarah Crichton Books, $23) at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
* Utah author Heather Ostler reads from and signs her young adult novel "The Shapeshifter's Secret" (Cedar Fort, $16.99) at 7 p.m. Thursday.
* California author William C. Gordon discusses and signs his new mystery novel "King of the Bottom" (Bay Tree Publishing, $14.95) at 7 p.m. Friday.
* Utah author Samantha Simon discusses and signs her book "Utah 4 Kids Adventure Guidebook" (Connector Publishing, $14.95)) at 2 p.m. Saturday.
These are free events at the bookshop, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City.