Bountiful fire spreads to sheds, vehicles

Jun 23 2012 - 10:51pm

BOUNTIFUL-- A fire destroyed two sheds and a pair of four-wheelers and damaged an abandoned car Saturday afternoon in Bountiful.

The blaze was reported at 5:50 p.m. at a residence near 1300 East and 200 South, said South Davis Metro Fire Agency Deputy Chief Jeff Bassett.

The fire started when a resident used an acetylene torch to take apart a metal shed. The embers from cutting the metal ignited dry grass and leaves which then spread to the contents of the shed, said Bassett.

The fire spread to a neighbor's shed and burned two motorcycles and a car before it was extinguished, he said.

The homeowner who accidentally started the fire was treated and released at the scene for smoke inhalation. His name was not available.

The value of the items destroyed also wasn't available.

The fire should serve as warning of existing dangers because of dry conditions, said Bassett.

"People need to think about what they are doing in the open," he said. "When it's red-flag conditions like it is now, people should not be doing any thing to cause a spark or ember. Conditions are too extreme."

From Around the Web