OGDEN -- A grass fire in a field in the middle of a block quickly raced up a hill and started burning people's yards and a shed and damaging some siding Monday night.
Four homes were threatened by the blaze officials said was started by fireworks. Initially reported at 932 Sullivan Road, the blaze burned 2.5 acres.
Neighbors on the 900 block of Patterson Avenue were spraying each other's property, moving propane tanks and running for their safety around 7:40 p.m. Monday.
"I was a yellow flash with an arm full of kids," said Tammy Summers of her dash out of the house as soon as she heard the crackling of the fire.
"All I could think was, 'Get your shoes,'" she said, even though she already had her shoes on.
Summers' son, Kamren Quintana, 12, said a boy told him the fire started on a small trail and then moved to a pile of sticks, combusting into a blaze.
The fire took out a shed owned by Summers' roommate, Jaymie Chivers.
Chivers said she was at work at the time the blaze "melted everything" in her shed.
"It jumped right over everything I would have liked it to have burned," Chivers said, pointing to a downed tree from a December wind storm still littering her yard.
Chivers said she just barely settled with the insurance company over that.
She said she's afraid the insurance company will think she's a fraud.
It was the second fire officials responded to Monday.
The first was a half-acre blaze at 3:22 p.m. at Fort Buenaventura.
Officials said that fire was started by two boys playing with a lighter.
One firefighter suffered a broken arm from a fall during that fire. It was the third fire in the area already this year.
On the 900 block of Patterson Avenue, 20 firefighters from Ogden, South Ogden, and Utah State Lands and Forestry had the fire contained in about 30 minutes, according to a news release from Ogden Fire Department.
There were no injuries at that fire, officials said.
Two houses away from the shed that burned, Tracey Poteet said she saw the fire when it started down the hill behind her house when she was outside starting to water her lawn.
She said the fire moved up the hill quickly, as it ate up dry grass and was pushed by the wind.
Poteet said she ran to call 911 and to get her mother out of the house and into the car because the older woman breathes with an oxygen tank.
When she got back, Poteet saw a neighbor spraying her sheds and garden with a hose.
That same neighbor, she said, later lost track of his dogs when he rushed to move a propane tank out of his own shed.
She saw him looking around the neighborhood for his animals.
"There was a sudden gust of wind, and it took the fire that way," Poteet said, pointing to the neighbor's lawn and the shed that was burned.
Poteet said firefighters' efforts were stalled for a short time when a fire hydrant broke across from the area where the lawn and shed were burned.
Steve Johnstun, who lives around the corner from the threatened houses, said he earned himself a friction burn on his thumb as he rushed to help firefighters move hoses when the hydrant broke.
"I just grabbed the hose and started pulling it down the street," he said, noting that firefighters seemed grateful for the help.